Quote of the Moment

They’ve done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time. — Anchorman

Wednesday 20 April 2011

10 Favourite Film Intros/Credits

A film intro/credits are the sequences at the start of the film.  There has been some great ones over the years and I'm going to share my favourites.


1. Watchmen



(only version I could find on youtube was a fast one, see it in normal mode, its better.)


Why I like it:  It is a fantastic opening sequence, it gives you the history off the Minutemen and Watchmen in a clever way.  It is a long sequence about 8min long but when I watched it at the cinema I never wanted it to end.  The song "The Time's Are A Changing" by Bob Dylan is the perfect song to have over this sequence because it relates to the political matters that are explored within the film.  It not only explores certain historical events such as the moon landing but it also changes these events incorporating them with the watchmen, showing what would have happened if there Watchmen were real and how they interfered with historical events.  I could go on forever about how I love this sequence, but I won't. :)


2. Se7en



Why I like it: Whats not to like, this sequence was everything that thriller movies should be and more.  This sequence freaked me out massively!  It sets the mood of the film perfectly and give the audience a snap shot into the mind of this twisted freak.  Great film, great opening sequence, great ending I might add as well.  This film is not for the squeamish so have a strong stomach when watching this.


3. Zombieland


Why I like it: Love the slow-motion, this sequence gives you a great feel towards what this movies is about without anyone haven't to explain it.  The music is also terrific but you could put any number of songs there and it would still be amazing!

4. Eurotrip


Why I like it: This is a funny funny movie and this title sequence is great.  The song "Talking bout' my Generation" is just so relevant to the story, and having it in a European language really gets the audience on board for a Europe themed movie. 


5. Reservoir Dogs






Why I like it:  There are two sequences in Reservoir Dogs which are worthy of this list.  One the Opening Scene with the 'dogs' talking about Madonna's "Like a Virgin" - so much of what they said were great points and there talking about tipping even more great dialogue, it just shows that QT is the dialogue master!  The second scene was the title credits with "Little Green Bag" - epic!  This title has started a phenomenon with people trying to copy it, it will never be forgotten in popular culture any time soon.

6. American Psycho


Why I like it: What's not to like, Christian Bale, in his jocks, flexing his amazing muscles, HOT! As well as that the introduction to Patrick Bateman is great, it gives you a front row seat in the mind of Patrick Bateman and sets up his character beautifully.  Bales totally owns this role as well! He is great in everything that he is in.

7. Trainspotting

Why I like it: Clever, quick introduction to what's the main plot of the film and the dialogue is bloody amazing.  The fast pace and dialogue are what makes this intro so great.

8. X Men Origins: Wolverine



Why I like it: It reminds me of the Watchmen one, its sort of going through events in history and adding the characters own personal touch into it.  Its pace is great you still get to see the credits when the action stops.  Its a quick introductory into what the main characters went through in the years leading up to when the story is set.  Also, you can see how the character's development though the war.

9. Superbad

Why I like it: It is funny and clever.  It gives an insight into what these to boys are like, the colours and music make this film seem like its set in the 70's or 80's which I felt the film referenced a lot.  They have the moves, alright!

10.Scream


Why I like it: This opening started a new revelation.  This opening was something that no one had ever seen before.  Yeah I might be a little obsessed with the Scream films but you can't say that this opening was not one that will be remembered forever.  This is just an epic scene.


Honorable Mentions
Scream 2 - This defined the revelation that the first film set.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Love its stylistic elements.

No comments: